Thursday, June 6, 2013

How soon is TOO soon for a widow to fall in love?

How soon is TOO soon for a widow 
to fall in love?


Tragic: Jayne with Neil on their wedding day in 2004, six years before his death

Just six months after the death of her beloved husband, 
Jayne was already seeing a new man...
Jayne and Neil were happily married with two children
But in 2010, Neil, aged 30, 
died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome
Six months later Jayne met Adam who helped her 
with her grief. They have since had a child together 
and are engaged to be married

By JAYNE HUSTWIT



Were I to tell you that I started my current relationship just six months after my husband died, would you judge me?

You wouldn't be alone. The matter of how soon is too soon to move on after being widowed is a highly controversial one.

But I don't feel guilty because I know my late husband would be glad for me.

In fact, when I met my current partner, Adam, the last thing in the world I wanted or expected was a new relationship.

But we are proof that you simply cannot plan life - or choose who you fall in love with, or when.

When happiness came my way, I chose to grasp it with both hands. I have no regrets in doing so, even though I know people may criticise me for it.

Of course, I could never have imagined my life would pan out like this.

I was 18 and at sixth-form college when I met Neil, the man who would become my husband. He was also 18, and I'd always thought we would grow old and grey together.

I'd had boyfriends before, but Neil was different: he was that rare mix of gentle, funny, clever and kind.

Our relationship flourished, despite the fact that over the next three years we attended universities miles apart. Neil studied criminology in Lincoln and I did nursing in Harrogate.

We married in July 2004, after graduating, and moved into a new two-bedroom terrace house near  Colne, Lancashire.

Our two children soon followed: Alexander, now seven, then Amy, five.

Neil was now a police officer, and I worked part-time as a  nurse, so I had time at home with the children.

Neil was caring, protective and, best of all, a real family man. If life wasn't perfect, it was as happy as I could possibly have imagined it.
That's until one Friday night in April 2010, when Neil went to a friend's stag party in Newcastle.

I was going out too that night and my parents were babysitting, so I dropped the children off with them and drove home to get ready.

I'd only just arrived home when my father turned up and said Amy wouldn't settle. 'Will you come back with me and give her a cuddle?' he asked.

'My fit, healthy, gorgeous husband, who was only 30, had walked into a pub and collapsed before he had even had a drink.'

I thought it was strange that Dad hadn't just phoned me.

It was only later that I realized he had something terrible to tell me, and wanted me to be safe with him and Mum and the children when he did so.

As we pulled into my parents' drive, Dad turned to me and said: 'It's Neil.' I saw two police officers through the window in my parents' front room and my stomach lurched.

Dad and I rushed into the house and I sat, flanked by my parents, as the police confirmed Neil was dead.

My fit, healthy, gorgeous husband, who was only 30, had walked into a pub and collapsed before he had even had a drink.

His friends - many of them fellow police officers - had desperately tried to revive him and called an ambulance, but he had died within minutes of collapsing.

Neil's heart had simply and inexplicably stopped beating.

A post-mortem examination later classed the cause of death as Sudden Adult Death Syndrome - a fatal disturbance in the heart's rhythm, which can strike at any age, and which can affect even fit and healthy people.

My first fear was that Neil might have suffered. Then I just felt numb. We all sat there crying, in disbelief and shock.

It took two days to summon the courage to tell the children Daddy wasn't coming home. They had thought he was away for the weekend, so that bought me the extra time.

I sat them down in the living room, but as I tried to utter the words, I broke down. My mum had to take over.

Jayne and Neil with their son Alexander and
daughter Amy a year before Neil passed away
Amy was too young to understand. Alexander - who idolised his dad - fell silent. I don't think he properly comprehended either - how could he? - because he kept asking when Dad was coming back.

For three weeks, we stayed with my parents. Consumed by grief, I found my only solace in sleeping pills prescribed by the doctor. Even the funeral two weeks later was a blur.

When I finally mustered the courage to take the children back to our home, it felt cold and empty without Neil.

His police uniform was still hanging in the wardrobe and his favourite football DVDs were next to the television.

At every turn, I was reminded of how happy we had been, and of how much we'd been looking forward to our future together.

A fortnight later, Neil's sergeant came to tell me Neil had passed his sergeant's exams with flying colours. It broke my heart to think my hard-working husband would never know of his success.

Thankfully, my parents came over every day. They helped me care for the children and establish new routines, and that forced me to carry on when I thought I couldn't.

Alexander was starting school that September in 2010 - a school Neil and I had carefully chosen together.

This was the first milestone we would have to reach without my husband and even buying our son's uniform, knowing Neil would never see it, was incredibly upsetting.

'Adam and I had met a few times before, so I arranged for him to come round and advise on the work that needed doing.'

The most difficult times, though, were at bedtime because Alexander would get upset that Daddy wasn't there to tuck him in. It was truly heartbreaking.

Our house had been on the market since before Neil's death. In late September, an offer was made on it, which I felt I should accept because a fresh start would help.

I managed to find a house down the road - two minutes from my parents - where I thought we could, eventually, be happy.

It needed lots of work doing to it, but I thought this might provide a distraction from my grief and give me something to focus on other than my loss.

My brother Christopher said his friend Adam, a 30-year-old builder, might be able to help me lick the new house into shape.

Adam and I had met a few times before, so I arranged for him to come round and advise on the work that needed doing.

New love: Jayne and her fiance Adam
Adam knew of my loss and was considerate and professional, and his advice was very helpful.

I moved in towards the end of September. A month later, I held a Halloween party for the sake of the children, and I invited Adam along with our friends.

He was easy to talk to, and we seemed to have lots in common as we chatted in the kitchen that late afternoon.

Not only had his mother worked with Neil's mum, but he'd known my brother for years through mutual friends. Again, I wouldn't say there was any chemistry as such - we just got on well.

Two weeks later, Adam phoned and invited me out for dinner. I was surprised and hesitant.

Was it too soon after losing Neil to go on a date? It was a dilemma, but in the end I decided to say yes, if only for a couple of hours away from being sad, in the company of someone who made me laugh.

It did feel strange getting dressed up for a date after so many years. I pulled on a checked skirt with a purple top and felt very nervous.
We went to an Italian restaurant and I was surprised that my awkwardness evaporated. And as we chatted, I noticed that I was warming to him; I found him attractive.

There was no guilt, nor did I feel like I was betraying Neil. Adam is completely different and being with him felt completely different.

We really hit it off that evening, and I felt I could trust Adam despite being vulnerable. We talked about friends we had in common and I spoke openly about my grief.

When Adam dropped me home, he leant in to give me a gentle kiss goodbye and it felt completely natural.

It was only when I thought about it the following morning that I found I was torn.

Neil had only been gone seven months. I couldn't imagine how a man would fit into my life, which was all about my children, and of course I worried about getting hurt.

But I saw Adam several times over the next few weeks while he worked on the house. I could grieve and cry in front of him. He didn't mind.

I handled my twinges of guilt that it was too soon by reminding myself that Neil would not have wanted me to be alone. Somehow, I felt his presence, and sensed he was happy I had a supportive man like Adam in my life.

I never stopped thinking about Neil, but I also felt someone like Adam might never come along again. I didn't want to lose him.

We worried what other people would think, so we kept our relationship secret for the first month.

Adam visited me in the evenings after the children had gone to bed. It seemed too soon to introduce a new man into their lives.

I also didn't know how I would break the news to Neil's parents, who had been so supportive. Nobody could ever take Neil's place, but would they see it that way?

Adam started to stay for the odd night. Amazingly, being intimate didn't feel wrong. I realized it was time for a new life.

So I decided to introduce Adam to the children.

'When Adam kissed me for the first time it felt so natural - but in the morning I felt a pang of guilt'

He started coming over for tea and he was great with them, taking them to the park and the swimming pool and helping Alexander with his homework. They grew to think the world of him.

One evening, I asked them how they would feel about Adam moving in. I was relieved when they started jumping excitedly on the bed. Having Adam round was like an adventure to them. 

Mum said she had guessed we were together but I was still afraid of telling Neil's parents. Thankfully, they took it well and assured me I was still young and deserved to be happy.

Neil's mum has since confessed they worried they might lose touch with their grandchildren, but the children see them every week, and there is no awkwardness when Adam drops them off.

Adam moved in with us in March 2011. I still occasionally worried when I had to explain to Neil's old friends that I'd met someone else.

Happy family: Jayne with her partner Adam, son Alexander, and daughters Amy and Maisy
And there have been some awkward moments when people assume Alexander and Amy are Adam's children - and Alexander turns round and says: 'My daddy's in heaven.' But if people ever thought badly of us, they didn't say so.

Six months after Adam moved in, we started trying for a baby.

I know some people will say that was too soon as well - and again, I didn't find it easy telling Neil's parents or friends - but it felt right to us, and we thought a new baby would be a wonderful way to cement our relationship.

We were prepared for the fact that it might take a year or two for me to get pregnant, so we were surprised and delighted when I conceived as soon as we started trying.

Our daughter Maisy was born in July last year. She's created a special bond between all of us. Adam and I are getting married next May.

I still grieve for Neil, and I always will - particularly on the children's birthdays.

We have his framed photograph in our sitting room, and the children have their own albums of pictures of their father.

Adam will never replace him, and he wouldn't want to, but he is a wonderful father figure to them.

Some people might find it hard to understand how I could move on so quickly. But Neil's death proves that life is too short and I'm not ashamed of what has happened.

At 33, I'm just thankful to have met two such wonderful men in one lifetime. I count my blessings every day. 

Interview: Alison Smith-Squire




No comments:

Post a Comment