Thursday, July 25, 2013

Death owes me a steak dinner…
Written by Shari Hadley, LCSW 

Today’s guest post comes from Shari Hadley, LCSW (Licensed Masters Social Worker).  Shari was raised in rural Missouri by both parents until her mother’s untimely death in a farming accident. While in college, she became Wiccan, married and had a son, but then tragedy struck again leaving her a widowed single mother at age 30. Read more about her incredible journey in her book “From the Cauldron to the Cross”.
Contact Shari via her website www.cauldrontothecross.com or “Like” on the book’s Facebook page.

 *****



I had always thought of Death as a person, at least, until recently. Only while participating in a Bible study of Revelations did it occur to me to even question the idea. “I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.” Revelation 6:8 (NIV). It was this personification of Death in scripture that brought my original beliefs about death to the forefront. You see, I normally think in very literal terms. Thankfully I’ve had a very patient Bible study teacher who enjoys my inquisitive mind (God Bless you Dr. Truelove!) and was able to help me understand that this passage is not to be taken literally, but figuratively.

So I have a better understanding of the existence of death, but I still personify him. It’s hard not to. After all, my hospice buried 211 people last year. That’s a lot of people, and I am the only grief counselor for all of their families. So it’s hard not to think of death as a fellow coworker. “Here let me introduce you to everyone. This is our chaplain, there is our volunteer coordinator, here are a couple social workers, our medical director and our nurses. Oh yeah, and over there by the coffee pot? That’s the Grim Spector of Death. That’s why the darn pot never works. Say hello to our visitors Death. (he waves a friendly hello).” You see Death and I are friends. And like a good friend, I don’t always agree with his methods or who he chooses to have a relationship with, because after all, none of his relationships end well.


I remember the first time I met Death. I was a child. We had a black Labrador retriever named Hambone. Hambone was just like every other black lab you ever met. Sweet, good tempered, patient, docile and dedicated fully to his family. Always ready with a wag of the tail, and a hug, hoping maybe, just maybe you’ll drop some of what you are eating, because kids are, by nature, messy creatures and it was his job to clean up after the household. But Hambone was getting old. He had been a puppy when I was a baby, and I wasn’t a baby anymore. He was moving slower from arthritis and had white on his muzzle. And one day Hambone didn’t show up for dinner. We looked everywhere, calling his name, but to no avail. He just seemed to disappear.

Several weeks went by and I was taking a walk in the woods near our house. As I wandered down a dry creek bed, something to the side caught my eye. It was black fur on skin, pulled tight over a loose pile of bones. It was Hambone. I ran home crying, looking for my father. Rather than move Hambone, we simply covered his body with soil and placed a marker. Dad explained to me that sometimes when animals get old and know their time is coming, that they wander off to die. And that’s what Hambone did. I know he wandered off for my benefit, but it still frightened me.

I was frightened of everything at that age, and it didn’t help that I could see Hambones grave from my bedroom window. I used to have nightmares of his bones coming to life and chasing me, or pacing outside my window. Yeah, Death and I weren’t friends back then. Soon after this incident Hambone’s best friend, our other dog Fluffy died. We buried her next to Hambone. And it became apparent that Death was on a roll. In the same woods, just a few yards away from Hambone and Fluffy’s grave, Death took my mother’s life with a chainsaw. 27 years later he would stand with me in the bedroom next to my own childhood room. With my arms around my dying father, I would look out his bedroom window and see Hambone’s grave.


But how does someone become friends with Death? It seems like such an appalling idea. As appalling as say…working at hospice? Boy, how many times have those of us in hospice been asked “So, where do you work?” and once we respond, the individual reacts with some form of shock or horror followed by the reply “Well, that must be depressing!” or if it’s a doctor the reply is “I hope I never have to use your services!” I think it’s these responses that helped me begin to feel empathy for Death. After all, no one likes him and nobody is ever glad to see him. But after so many years in hospice, with nearly 800 deaths under my belt, hundreds of funerals, sympathy cards, and condolence calls, I’ve come to respect Death. How can I not, after seeing the glassy eyes of my patients who gasp for breath, feverish, slipping into unconsciousness, usually after losing so much weight that they are nearly unrecognizable to even their loved ones. Death is a welcome reprieve. That’s not to say I don’t grieve. I do, and I do hard.

We bury my father-in-law Don Conner this Saturday at 11am in the Appleton City Cemetery. I’ve known Don nearly 20 years, and Death has truly broken my heart once again. I cry so hard, that I slip to the floor, crumpled, face in my hands, weeping bitterness, begging God for a break. Just a little break…from my friend Death. Even though Don was badly injured from his fall March 9th, all of us truly thought he could be rehabilitated enough to one day come home. Maybe for Christmas. But I guess that won’t be the case.



I recently saw a phrase on a church billboard that said “Every day spent above ground is a good day.” Every time I see it, I think how a phrase could not be more untrue. Especially for a church. But I guess that’s how you feel when you’re not friends with Death. And by my way of thinking, Death owes me a steak dinner right about now….

Article taken from 

No comments:

Post a Comment